Calgary Torpedoes Water Polo Club
Almost 40 Years in the Game
Over the past four decades, water polo clubs throughout Calgary have had a number of growth initiatives and many clubs have sprouted up making a healthy competitive environment:
- 1971 – Ivan Somalai started a Club at the Central YMCA
- 1973 – Calgary Water Polo Club was formed out of a combination of the YMCA Club and the newly formed Glencoe Water Polo Club. (Ray Brett and Ivan Somalai)
- 1974 – University of Calgary Water Polo Club founded by Brian Shockey and Robin Routleg
- 1980 – Torpedoes Water Polo Club founded by John Csikos and Gord Graham
- Throughout the 80’s and 90’s there were two main clubs, Torpedoes and Renegades
- 2003, Torpedoes focused on boys and men’s programming
- From 2014 to 2017, the club grew from 20 members to over 80 active members
- Currently, the Club offers boys and men’s programming in the 15U, 17U, 19U, and Major League Water Polo Canada, National Championship League categories.
- The Club’s high performance programs are competitive teams that play Open Provincial Events and Nationally and travel to compete on a regular basis throughout the season.
Our National Championship Teams
Senior Men’s National Championship Titles
3. 1995 – Rob Barber, Darryl Bourne, Kirk Schmeidge, Laszlo Toth, Kent Hardisty, Cory Meyer, Paul Ross, Myron Tetreault, Chris Garwah, Gary Malcolm, John Csikos (coach)
18U Men’s National Championship Titles
2. 2007 – Michael Davies, Andrew Muir, Saad Rajan, Scott Robinson, Jared McElroy, Andrej Brajic, Kalman Pinter, Jordan Smuszko, Oliver Vikalo, John Csikos (coach), Reza Solemaine (coach)
Our Vision is to be Canada’s Club for Water Polo excellence, integrity and leadership
To provide a positive, competitive water polo environment and experience by developing athletes, coaches and officials who commit to practicing water polo, leadership, skills, mutual respect and teamwork to excel in life.
To develop happy, healthy athletes who gain both mentally and physically from their experience with the Club, and who grow to become exceptional members of their communities and contribute positively to society.
Leadership skills, mutual respect, teamwork, discipline, loyalty, commitment and excellence.
True Sport Principles
Calgary Torpedoes have made a declaration to Canada’s True Sport Principles, and we ask each Torpedoes athlete to do the same. These principles can be found in the Member Handbook.
Board of Directors
President – firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice President – email@example.com
Communications – firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer – email@example.com
Directors at Large
Registrar – firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel Coordinator – email@example.com
Fundraising Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
NCL Volunteer / Tournament Coordinator – email@example.com
Board / Club Supporting Roles
Club Social Media & Marketing
Discipline & Complaints