True Sport for Calgary Torpedoes
Safe Sport for Calgary Torpedoes
True Sport Principles
Go For It
Rise to the challenge – always strive for excellence.
Be persistent and discover how good you can be.
Understand, respect, and follow the rules.
Play with integrity – competition is only meaningful when it is fair.
Show respect for everyone involved in creating your
sporting experience, both on and off the field of play.
Win with dignity and lose with grace.
Keep It Fun
Find the joy in sport and share it with others.
Remember what you love about sport and why you play.
Always respect and care for your mind and body.
Advocate for the health and safety of yourself and those around you.
Recognize and celebrate strength in diversity.
Invite and welcome others into sport.
Say thanks and show gratitude.
Encourage your sport group to make a difference in the community.
Water Polo Canada adheres to the Universal Code of Conduct to Prevent and Address Maltreatment in Sport (UCCMS – Canadian Safe Sport Program (sirc.ca)
Offering a safe environment to all our athletes and to all the various individuals who contribute to the Sport of water polo – whether they are coaches, officials, volunteers, staff, parents or only fans/spectators – is an absolute priority for Water Polo Canada.
There are several components to consider in order to make this a reality, and this is what this SAFE SPORT section is all about.
As stated in our Code of Conduct:
All Registrants are responsible for maintaining and enhancing the dignity and self-esteem of Registrants and other individuals by:
- Demonstrating respect to individuals regardless of body type, physical characteristics, athletic ability, age, ancestry, colour, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status, socioeconomic status, gender identity, gender expression, sex, and sexual orientation
- Focusing comments or criticism appropriately and avoiding public criticism of athletes, coaches, officials, organizers, volunteers, employees, or Registrants
- Consistently demonstrating a spirit of sportsmanship, sport leadership, and ethical conduct
- Acting, when appropriate, to correct or prevent unjustly discriminatory practices
- Consistently treating individuals fairly and reasonably
- Ensuring adherence to the rules of Water Polo and the spirit of those rules
Safe Sport includes other components such as Insurance, Anti-Doping Program, and appropriate Concussion Protocol, and you will also find here the relevant information on these different elements.
Back to the “environment free of all forms of abuse, harassment, bullying or discrimination” aspect of Safe Sport: the first three (3) of the sub-tabs below offers details and solutions that are for you.
- Under “I want to report something” you will find clear information on what to do and through which channels you should go should you have a situation to report or a complaint.
- Under “Safe Sport Officer,” you will find information on the Independent Safe Sport Officer who is at your disposal to help if you have a situation to report or a complaint.
- Under “Responsible Coaching & Respect in Sport,” you will find information on other programs that WPC is implementing in order to provide a positive environment for all to develop within our Sport.